The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Bottlerock 2017 Delivers

Audrey Palmer, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Bottlerock 2017 was a weekend full of gourmet food, exquisite wine, and legendary headliners. The festivities began on Friday May 26th and lasted until Sunday the 28th. Thus leaving Memorial Day as a recovery period for the festival goers. Big hits were Maroon 5, Tom Petty, and The Foo Fighters. Activities such as free flash-tattoos, dancing in the Silent Disco, or enjoying one of a kind meal, Bottlerock is fit for all ages.

Friday goers were left in anticipation while waiting for the headliners, Maroon 5, to take the stage. Other performances that took place were Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, gnash, Saint Motel, Modest Mouse, and Fitz and the Tantrums. The audience for Saint Motel and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were all energetic and almost every person in the crowd was dancing or singing. People were even more excited for Maroon 5 to take to the stage. Maroon 5 had an unforgettable performance and left every person begging for an encore.

Saturday, May 27th’s lineup included headliner Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, as well as other performances by Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Dirty Heads, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Andra Day, the Napa Youth Symphony, and much more. The high energy from Friday carried over into the next day x2. There seemed to be even more people, Tom Petty drawing the biggest crowd. The crowd was more mature compared to Friday being there weren’t many young heart throbs in the lineup. Nonetheless, Saturday Bottlerock was a huge hit and left 3 day pass goers excited for Sunday.  

Sunday concluded the last day of Bottlerock where bands like Foo Fighters, Bad Suns, and A R I Z O N A played. Thousands of people attended bottlerock and it was made evident as crowds gathered to see musicians like Cobi and Little Hurricane. Adults were seen huddled over their beer and wine as the younger crowd tanned and danced to the beat of the bands playing. Both older and younger people were seen attending their favorite bands and singing along to the lyrics. The lines for food and band merchandise remained long the entire day and never seemed to stop growing.

Little Hurricane hit Napa with full force as they played the Samsung Stage. Behind the barrier people squeezed together as they tried to get as close as possible to the band. People in the back set up their towels on the ground and laid down, no doubt relaxing and enjoying the music. The crowd only grew when A R I Z O N A followed up after them. In the crowd there could occasionally be heard “I love you”s and vulgar forms of appreciation. The majority was singing the lyrics and dancing the entire time that the band played.

All other concerts went in a similar fashion, there was no lack of enthusiasm to be seen. Sunday ended on a fine note and left many anticipating next year.