The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

2017 Fashion Trends

Lili Mautner, Reporter

Every era has a style that defines it and makes it memorable. At some point old styles cycle through and become new again. 2017 has brought us a combination of fashion from several decades, and incorporated it into an all new era of recycled clothing.

This year one of the main trends is thrifting. Thrifting is the best way to find vintage pieces and clothing items that are unique and other people won’t have. Fashion bloggers vlog their thrifting trips and do hauls for people to watch and hopefully get inspired.  

Another big trend is primary colors and color in general. In the past few years very neutral colors have been in but 2017 is giving color a new life. Yellow, red, pink, and orange are some of the most commonly seen and are often pieced together.

Along with color, patterns are in. Gingham, flames, paisley, pin stripes, plaid, camo, and checkers are extremely popular this season. Mixing and matching these different patterns with colors and accessories is a big deal.  

Chokers have been in for the past few years and are sort of a repeat of the 90s/2000s. Besides chokers layering necklaces and mixing and matching metals and charms is popular. “Out there” accessories are in including mainly unique and crazy earrings. The 70s look is coming back not only in clothing but also with big hoop and patterned earrings. Statement lenses are trending – colored aviators, Cobain glasses, clear and square lenses, and overall bright colors.

In homage to the 2000s brand names are back. Tommy Hilfiger, Gucci, Juicy Couture, Yves Saint Laurent, Adidas, Guess, Chanel, and any other name brand clothing with flashy, statement logos. Fashion bloggers and models all over are featuring these brands with various articles of clothing and accessories. One of the of the newest things to make a comeback under the brand name category are velour Juicy track suits.

Obviously not everyone can afford brand new name brand items so the perfect place to find vintage high end brands is at thrift stores.  To sum up 2017 fashion I would picture  any of the Cheetah Girls in their prime and add a little edge and a modern spin.