The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Over Summer Activities

Bertha Gallegos, Reporter

When it’s summer in Napa being a teenager is a little difficult. There’s not much to do here, that’s understandable because Napa puts a priority on tourists. Although this becomes a summer long problem because boredom becomes quite apparent. Most students will face this daily fear of boredom over the break. Many students will spend their days hanging out with friends and/or going on adventures. But the majority of their time will be spent at home watching Netflix and eating junk food. Either way, there’s just not a lot to do in Napa for teenagers.

Most students don’t have much money so what can they do? Going to parks is relaxing but going alone isn’t always gonna be fun. Inviting friends requires a car or the willingness to walk but when it’s hot no one wants to walk. Hanging out with friends can get to be dull, going to each other’s houses can be fun but after a couple of days, it can become repetitive. Plus going out to places with friends can be better but it could also be not so cost effective. Going out to eat can add up quickly. Going to the movies can get expensive. Additionally, if your friend lives far away it’ll be harder to meet up and maybe even unlikely.

Now, what are some low-cost ways to have fun in Napa, with minimal transportation needed? Going for walks/exploring your surrounding area could greatly help kill boredom. Walking is after all exercise, but if it’s too hot maybe wait till it’s almost dark out. Another activity would be reading, honestly, most people don’t like to read but that should change. Pick a book that sparks your interest and get to reading. It’ll take a couple of days to finish it, but that can depend on the book. Plus reading takes minimal effort, just find a comfy spot and you’ll be fine. Lastly and most common watch Netflix. Watching your favorite show could be fun. Many new shows are coming out and binge watching them can be an adventure in itself. Overall there’s not too much to do in Napa for teenage interests, but with the right people or activity,  it could be fun. Maybe not, it just depends on what you’re doing and/or with who.