The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Jazz Show 2017

Henley Frommelt, Reporter

It has come to that time of the year where the Napa High Dance Department puts on the Jazz show. They had ten groups dancing, Jazz 1, Jazz 2, Jazz 3, Jazz 4 (which is JV and Varsity Spiritleaders), Breakers, Salsa/Latin Dance group, Dance Officers, and five Senior Spiritleaders. The theme of this years show was a tribute to Prince with lots of his music, sparkles and purple clothing. The show had 28 dances throughout the night and most of them were to a song that was sang by Prince. The Jazz Show is a three day event but each night has all the same dances.

Each group danced at least twice at some point in the night and with some people who are in multiple groups got to dance most of the night. Freshman Janice Blatteis is in Jazz 2 and Breakers so she got to dance about six times each night. Blatteis states, ¨Even though this was only my first jazz show I loved it so much even though it was extremely stressful, the end product was totally worth it.¨ Blatteis explained how much hard work was put into making her dancing as good as possible as well as wanting to move forward in her life with dancing. Blatteis explained that even with all stress that the show brought up with school, family, friends and dancing itself she would go back any time and do it all over again. “The best part of the show was being on stage with some of my favorite people and my second family.” As she went on Blatteis explained more about how being on two dance teams she has made so many close friendships. Also has come to have a second family with both dance teams. She explained how she is excited to be in four more Jazz Shows and she hopes that she will make it in to be a Spiritleader next year and experience the Jazz Show in a different way.

There were many tears after the entire Jazz Show was over between all the teams and especially for both of the Spiritleading teams. Most people were very confused why they were crying but when they asked the spiritleaders why, they responded with, “That was the end of our season, our team will never be together again which is very hard on all of us.” As the Varsity Spiritleaders had their huddle after the show all the seniors were the most emotional. For that was their last Jazz Show at Napa High and was like a little goodbye for their time at Napa High. Junior Spiritleader Amy Buhler said that, “Having to stay goodbye to such a great season with such great people was really hard, especially with the senior that are leaving and how I will never see them at school after this school year is over”. As their final bow, all the groups had a little dance party as the curtains were closing.