The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Adios Intervention!

Block day schedules have been changed.

Block day schedules have been changed.

Block day schedules have been changed.

Helena Parker, Reporter

On April 24th, 2017, Napa High School issued a letter addressing the “Napa High Community, Staff, Students, and Parents,” regarding a change to the block-day schedule. Until now, students were given roughly a 40 minute period each Thursday and Friday, which was intended to be used as a productive time, allowing for students to “receive targeted academic support in all classes.”

This extra period was utilized by many to complete homework or projects, ask a teacher for help, make up tests or quizzes, and more. Despite this, other students chose to leave campus during intervention, which was not intentional and likely helped lead to its demise.

Although the school’s administration believes “it is in the best interest of [the] students and staff that [they] make an immediate change,” many kids at Napa High disagree. Anna Philips, a junior, believes that “interventions are very useful to those of us that use them, which is many people,” and that they “house many useful things such as studying for tests.”

Although intervention will be changed, this time has to go somewhere. In this case, block periods will be extended to two hours and two minutes, “absorb[ing] the intervention period minutes.”

This extended schedule is questioned by many students, such as juniors Jason Pridy and Cole Johnson. Johnson sees the change as simply, “Really bad,” because “the time now is enough, intervention now is very useful, and losing it will impede on study hall time.” Pridy also believes the alteration is “Terrible. Two hour periods are too long.”

This new schedule is effective on May 1st, 2017, and will not include an extension of Milk Break or Lunch, which is frustrating to sophomore Leila Mehaouchi, who thinks the schedule will “Majorly affect the academics of students in a negative way.” She believes “Paying full attention in a classroom for an hour and a half is already a huge a strain,” and “is asking way too much of the students.”

Although the majority of student responses to the change have been overwhelmingly negative, that is largely due to people fearing a loss of time to complete work. Junior Leann Rody thinks that teachers will use this extra time to “fill it was busy-work, then we won’t get any work done, and our attention spans will not last that long.” She is among many who are “against the new schedule,” and how it may affect grades and school in general.

There will be three meetings for “Students, families, and staff members who wish to learn more and dialogue around this structural change.” These meetings will be held in the Napa High Library on Wednesday the 3rd, Tuesday the 9th, and Wednesday the 24th of May from three to four PM. The school encourages anyone who is interested in knowing more to attend one or more of the meetings.