The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Thor: Ragnarok Trailer Breakdown

Patricia Arriaga-Rivera, Opinion Editor, Features Editor

First, there was Thor, then Thor: The Dark World, and now there is Thor: Ragnarok. The mood for the trailer is more of a Guardians of the Galaxy than it is any other Marvel movie. There is no serious bromance that is seen, and there seems to be space; not to be confused with the space between words I mean outer space. Unlike other Thor movies, this one seems to be more focused outside Midgard.

The trailer seems to start in what seems like Muspelheim which is one of the nine realms; this is simply a theory but given the fact that Muspelheim is filled with lava, fire, and all that good stuff it seems likely.  It seems to be a result of a fight that is fought in a scene that later comes out in the trailer. This scene introduces us to the Hel, the Goddess of Hel or, as it’s also known, the Underworld. Her power is quickly made evident when she breaks Mjolnir with no visible effort. This happens in what seems like an alleyway in Midgard. Although in the Doctor Strange post credit scene there was a meeting between Stephen Strange and Thor meeting to discuss the disappearance of his father this doesn’t seem to be at the same time although it could indicate that Thor is still looking for his father somewhere around the area. It is implied that Loki is also tagging along and even though the spotlight isn’t on him during the alley scene if you look closely during the explosion of Mjölnir there is someone next to Thor.

Next flashes a scene where Hel, the Goddess, looks absolutely stunning in her skin tight suit and horns. One can assume this is during a fight she has with Valkyrie given the fact that later in the trailer a similar looking scene is shown.

The scene cuts to Hel inside of Asgard looking ready to fight the Asgardian army.  “Asgard is dead” she comments before what seems like what will be another epic battle scene. A fire is then seen spreading from what looks like the castle down into the city. Given the fact that Thor seems to have long hair in the scene it is probably safe to assume the fight takes place early in the movie.

The scene then cuts once again to Thor in Sakaar, a place known for its junk and the wormholes delivering it. This planet is originally from the Planet Hulk comics but it has been merged with the movie. From here Valkyrie kidnaps Thor and takes him so he can be a “contender” for the Grand Master who plans to use him in a gladiator type fight. What I find odd about this is Valkyrie. She is supposed to be the leader of a group of women who escort the souls of heroes to Valhalla, so what brings her to Sakaar? One theory I have, which is backed up by the trailer,  is during the fight with Hel she lost all her friends as well as the will to continue her job. The trailer shows right before the assault that takes place and what seems like after it ends. I say this because it shows the women approaching Hel in what seems like Nifelheim where they end up falling off their flying horses after Hel throws her sword at them.

We get a quick shot of Heimdall fighting with someone in a forest before the scene cuts to Skurge the Executioner firing his machine gun. Three different clips then show what looks like a raid, another shot from the battle between Hel and the Asgardians that I earlier mentioned, and the final shot shows Loki looking ready to engage in some sort of fight. My best guess is that the raid is taking place in Sakaar but I could be completely wrong. The scene with Hel and the Asgardians seems to be taken shortly after the first shot we got of the fight but Hel apparently developed horns during the time that wasn’t shown. Perhaps the horns on her head are gear so she doesn’t hurt herself? The third scene shows Loki catching his knives. It’s hard to say where he’s at but it doesn’t seem like Asgard or Midgard.  

The final scene interests me for three different reasons. One, Thor’s hair is now short, something minor to me but nevertheless new. Second, he seems to be in an arena ready to fight Hulk which is freaking cool. Since Avengers: Age Of Ultron I had been wondering where he was. His intro was amazing, the person introducing Hulk used “the incredible” and it had me smiling at the reference to his comics. Bless. The third thing that caught my eye was the fact that Loki was with the Grand Master watching Thor fight. He looked somewhat anxious but I can’t tell if it’s because he has to see Hulk again or because his brother has to go up against him. Either way, Thor seemed pretty happy about it.

Another thing worth mentioning is the song used for the trailer. The song is a Led Zeppelin song that goes by the name “Immigrant Song”. The lyrics speak of an immigrant from “the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow” which I find could be a reference to Hel who is an immigrant to Asgard. The song also mentions the “hammer of the gods” Which reminds me of how she breaks Mjolnir. The song overall fits the trailer extremely well.

I honestly can’t wait to see the movie which comes out in November. The movie may not be like the other two but it doesn’t seem like it’ll disappoint.