The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Not My Rodrick

Lili Mautner, Reporter

Fans are outraged. People are heartbroken. Children are scared. The “New Rodrick” has spurred an outbreak of hysteria and confusion.

#notmyrodrick is trending on twitter and fans are writing it on their wrists to show support of the original Rodrick.

In order to fully express the betrayal fans are feeling let’s first look at some background information.

To start off, Rodrick, Greg’s older brother was the epitome of a grungy emo older brother who had his own band and who although was an evil older sibling, was still the coolest. Besides being the leader of the band “Loded Diper”, he had an awesome van to haul his drums, and an attic room all to himself.

The new Rodrick is none of these things. He is pale and skinny and has long puffy hair and is all around nasty. I feel bad for the actor who has to deal with all this heat but he really shouldn’t have tried out for the role. It is almost impossible to compare to the original Rodrick and there is no use trying to compete for the same levels of respect and awe he has. This goes for all the new cast; you can’t live up to the standards already set by those before them.

People may argue that it’s just a kids movie and no one really cares, but believe me, people do.

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series has been invaluable to many kids since the first book came out in 2007. Since then Jeff Kinney has published one each year and there have been 3 movie adaptations. The fourth is soon to come – unless fans riot enough to make them halt the release and ban the film from ever appearing in theaters.  

If enough fans rally together this may be possible.

On the other hand, it is possible that this new addition to the franchise will be a staple for the new generations to come, I doubt it though.
As optimistic as we can try to be, there is no getting over the new Rodrick along with all his discrepancies and insufficiencies.  It truly is a tragic loss for Rodrick fans around the world; my condolences are with all of you.