The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Jock Lot Capacity Problem

Henley Frommelt, Reporter

Now that we are entering Spring, many students are getting their licenses. Which means more cars in the parking lots. Some students say that the jock lot should be just for juniors and senior who have their own cars, but what they aren’t realizing is that sophomores are getting older and getting their license sooner than they used too. This is then causing more of a backup and not enough space for a number of drivers that are entering the parking lot. Some people will park on streets near the school or even in a side parking lot. That also causes teachers that may not have any parking spaces open for them.

I am a freshman that will be getting my license very early in my sophomore year, I can already tell that it will be difficult to be able to park my car in the jock lot. Just from getting picked up in the jock lot after school, it is backed up and I can’t even imagine how backed up it is in the morning. There are only 108 parking spaces in the student parking lot and there are about 1,847. That then leaves 1,739 students that may not have an open parking spot. Yes, there are ways to get a reserved parking spot by winning or receiving the booster club parking spot that have to be reserved for the recipient that school year. There is the athletic parking spot, spirit leading parking spot, band parking spot and the choir parking spot. Even though they have these parking spots, many students have to park up the street or by the district offices not very close to the school. I still don’t see how some people have the need to say that they “have a reserved parking spot” or “that is my parking spot, not yours” even when though they don’t really have an actual reserved parking spot. I have witnessed this by many seniors who have used the same parking spot for two or more years. Most of the time these students try to use the fact that they are older and that they need the spot more than the other students do.

This all comes down to is there enough parking? Do more students need to carpool? Or should we get more buses for the students? I think that it is better if students just carpool because there are so many people who are driving to school from the same neighborhood as at least fifteen other people. If they all carpooled that would be easier than fifteen cars driving to school every morning from the same neighborhood and would also leave more space for others.