The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Beauty and the Beast Review

Andrew Soto, Reporter

We’re approaching an era with more romantic comedies and action movies, sometimes it’s nice to take a step back and see something again,perhaps in a new way. I’d like to thing this has been Disney’s mindset as of late. With live action remakes releasing for Peter Pan, Cinderella, Jungle Book, and Maleficent, and now Beauty and the Beast. The remake of the classic 1991 film came out Friday of last week starring Emma Watson as Belle and Dan Stevens as the Beast.

The story starts in the castle of a young prince where a party is being held, an old beggar approaches the prince and asks for shelter in exchange for a rose, but the Prince, disgusted by the beggars appearance harshly declines, the beggar reveals she is actually a fair enchantress and curses the prince to become a beast and his servants to become household objects on account of the prince’s apathy and selfishness, he would have to learn to love and receive that love back by the time the last petal on the rose she had gifted him fell, and if he couldn’t they would all be trapped in that current state for good. The pace then changes and picks up speed were it turns from days, to month, to years after the curse and everyone has forgotten about the prince turned beast

This is around the time that Belle, the protagonist, is introduced with a musical number, I won’t delve too deep into the plotline in order to avoid heavy spoilers, so it’s best to move on to the other aspects of the movie. Plot aside this was a really solid reboot, the CGI was nice, the characters were equally charming if not more likeable.

The CGI (Computer Generated Images) effects were really well done, with characters such as Lumiere and Cogsworth not looking too unnatural and out of place while still having some human features. On the subject of characters, a lot of the characters in this remake were more developed and fleshed out than in the original, like the antagonist Gaston seeming more like a villain and Belle having more of a personality, as well as The Beast seeming more brooding and playing the role of a selfish prince turned beast more than the animated beast.

One persistent problem from the animated version and the remade version is the problem with pacing, the events of the movie seem to unfold in the span of two days when it should be several, although this might just be because of length time I feel like the pacing is more odd in this remake, with Belle and The Beast hating each other for more than half of the movie, and then the rest of it almost feeling shoehorned in. This might just be a personal nitpick, as the rest of the movie was fantastic.

Regardless of it’s flaws Beauty and The Beast is definitely a great movie, it has a cast of loveable characters, several good morals, some great jokes mixed in and best of all it’s a love story that doesn’t feel corny, there’s something here for everyone, even a few action scenes tossed into the mix. I definitely recommend this movie to anyone that liked the classic version, or anyone looking for something to watch at the theaters, it’s a great story and I didn’t feel my time was wasted at all.