The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Seriously Speaking

Patricia Arriaga-Rivera, Opinion Editor, Features Editor

Through social media and calls, home students and parents were able to find out that on Wednesday a threat had been made to Vintage High School and later that week Napa High School too. The threat lead to students from both high schools to stay home and away from potential danger. With the two recent terrorist threats being made quite a few things have come to my mind. It was thought by students and teachers alike that the first threat was made so attention would be on them and not Napa where the actual terrorist acts would take place.

The threat itself seemed a bit odd. Why would anyone tell people the crimes they would commit before doing them? It’s like saying “Hey! I’m here to tell you via printer that I’m going to go to school and kill off your students and staff. FYI I know this’ll cause a major disturbance for students and worry parents but because I’m too much of a coward to say it in person or seek help for my problems, I’ll just leave this here. P.S I’m not actually going to do it, I just want to create chaos, have a nice day! ” Oh wait? That’s basically what they said. Even so as annoying as it seemed ruling out possible danger is not something I do.

Along the way all I could do was shake my head but because school shootings are far from anything new to the United States I know regardless of whether or not I deem this sort of thing to be a danger I still have to be cautious. Avoiding the quad and making no stops before getting to class is one way I do that. Telling my freshmen brother to use his head and make the decision he feels best if he finds himself in a lockdown is another. At school, there is nothing that terrifies me as much as my brother getting hurt or worse, killed someone with issues they don’t know how to resolve. Needless to say, Thursday and Friday went without any signs of those sorts of violence.

Had there been school shooting though what would have happened? The standard ring followed by door closing and those few students snapchatting is what would usually happen but my third and fifth period would be different, deadly different.

In the math wing where I can be found one of the bells does not work. Ms.Bowers, a math one teacher, has to keep her door open so she can hear a bell. In an actual lockdown what would happen if while teaching her students were too busy taking a test or learning to hear? They would fail to hear a warning that wasn’t set up for them to hear in the first place. A gunshot would probably be enough to get them to realize what was going on, though. If the shooting wasn’t while I was in math and instead in art the result would be the same. In the past students were still going about their day when during a lockdown drill. Should there be a shooting I really hope I don’t find myself in either of those classes.

In the end, it was a sick joke by someone who has no life and no regard for others. I truly hope whoever was behind the threat has decided they’re done with their games.