The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Student Opinions on the Mascot

An old depiction of The Napa High Indian mascot

Bertha Gallegos, Reporter

The Indian, the mascot of Napa High since its founding in 1897. Having an Indian as the mascot has always caused some controversy but the NVUSD board has finally put a committee together to possibly change it. The committee consists of native Napans, teachers, students, NVUSD board members, and Napa community members. Many people will be part of the decision regarding the mascot, their thoughts and opinions will be heard. But many people will not be part of the discussion so here are some more points of view.

Yliana Perez, a freshman at Napa high, feels that the mascot should stay. “I think it should stay because as far as I know,” she commented, “They didn’t do it out of bad intention. Its simply just a high school mascot, in my opinion, it’s not like people are dissing the name itself.”

Berenize Marcelo, an 8th grader at Harvest middle school, also feels that it should stay. “It should stay because it represents a great part of Napa High history.” Marcelo will also be attending Napa High next year.

Mystica Garcia, a Napa High graduate currently attending Napa Valley Junior College, thinks it should go. “It should go because it’s racist. ‘Indians’ isn’t even the politically correct term for Native American people,” she declared, “White people stole their land & now they’re using their culture as a mascot, it’s basically mocking them.”

Veronica Valadez, a freshman at American Canyon High, feels that it should go. “I think it should go because it’s been the same for many years and change is inevitable,” she remarked, “And it could be a good thing, it also shows the pride and respect that students have for their school.”

Janette Garcia Martinez, a Vintage High graduate attending UC Berkeley, also thinks the mascot should go. “I think it’s fundamentally wrong to depict the face of an Indian as a mascot,” she also stated, “Napa high should change the mascot to something that represents Napa, I don’t get how the Indian portrays Napa.”

Cynthia Ruíz, a freshman at Napa High, feels it should stay. “Stay I guess, because when you think of an Indian you can describe it as independent and strong,” she commented, “They’re united, just like Napa High.”

Gabriel Tierrafría, another freshman at Napa High  feels the mascot should stay. “I feel that if we get a new mascot, it wouldn’t be the same because our school has always been known as the Napa Indians,” he mentioned, “If we got a new mascot it wouldn’t feel right to be called something else.”

Rosalinda Hurtado, a Napa High graduate currently a social studies teacher at Harvest Middle school, thinks is should stay. “My opinion is that our mascot is more than just an indian.” She stated, “It symbolizes pride, loyalty, respect and honor just what all native american represent. I don’t it should be changed. It has a history with us. I graduated almost 16 years ago and I am proud to be an “indian” just as I was when I was there!”

Some don’t like the idea if the mascot changing but it might become a reality, the committee will make their final decision sometime in April. With the possibility of a new mascot, how much backlash would happen? Or maybe it’ll stay the same, could that have a negative effect? Either way, the aftermath will be uncertain but at least NVUSD tried.