The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

The 89th Annual Academy Awards

Helena Parker, Reporter

The 89th annual Academy Awards have come a long way since the initial banquet on May 16, 1929. This Sunday, February 26, Justin Timberlake opened the show with a mashup of his popular songs, including “Can’t Stop the Feeling” which was released last year. The awards show, also known as the Oscars, was hosted by comedian and talk-show host Jimmy Kimmel.

As usual, the host began the show with a comedic monologue which poked fun at many of the celebrities and nominees of the night, including Meryl Streep, Matt Damon, Andrew Garfield, and even the President of the United States. Kimmel’s humorous sarcasm lasted throughout the show and acted as an icebreaker between emotional acceptance speeches and significant topics such as immigration and racism.

Other light-hearted aspects of the show included pouches of candy raining down on parachutes and a special Oscars edition of “Celebrities Read Mean Tweets”, a segment which is usually on Jimmy Kimmel’s talk show.

Although actors and actresses generally seem to receive the majority of the credit for movies, the Oscars help to bring to light those who are behind the scenes with awards such as the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling, the Academy Award for Best Production Design, and the Academy Award for Best Costume Design.

Of course, these are only a few awards in the wide variety of the show. A few of the more well-known awards were Academy Award For Best Picture, Academy Award For Best Actor, and Academy Award For Best Actress. Those who received these were the cast of Moonlight, Casey Affleck, and Emma Stone, respectively. Some other big winners of the nights were La La Land, which received 14 nominations, and Moonlight. These films brought in a total of 11 awards between the two of them.

Oscars.org alludes to the history of the event as well as the famous Oscar Statuette or the officially named “Academy Award of Merit.” The statuette is 13.5 inches tall and weighs 8.5 pounds. Although the origin of its nickname, Oscar, is unknown, the term for the figure was not adopted by the Academy until 1939.

Justin Timberlake was not the only musical performer of the night. In addition to John Legend performing a mashup of songs from La La Land, “Seventeen-time Grammy-winner” Sting and playwright Lin-Manuel Miranda also made musical appearances.

Although the main focus of the night was discernibly film related, there was also a great deal of show-stopping fashion. USA Today, Vogue, US Weekly, and more were quick to publish their “Best Dressed” Lists. Their choices included celebrities such as Jessica Biel, Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Hailee Steinfeld, and Ruth Negga. However, these popular magazines could not seem to agree on who was the “Best Dressed” among all of the women.

Overall, the 89th annual Academy Awards was an event full of better-than-average looking men and women, and their dramatic, yet inspirational, films.