The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Resident Evil The Finial Chapter: Review

Patricia Arriaga-Rivera, Opinion Editor, Features Editor

Going back since 2002 Resident Evil has been one of the few post-apocalyptic zombie infested movies to succeed in the big screen. Resident Evil has, after five years, returned with an ending all too disappointing for fans.

Resident Evil: Final Chapter Alice (Milla Jovovich)  must save the world after “Humanity’s last stand” as Wesker (Shawn Roberts) once put it has been completely demolished. The Red Queen quickly makes her appearance and informs Alice of the inevitable end of all humans still on earth. It is soon decided that Alice will return to Raccoon City, retrieve the anti-virus,  and save the last of people. As the trailers had shown there were zombies, biohazards, old friends, and above all, more enemies. The trailer promised an action-packed plot with what would count as the end of the movie series.

Truth is, for the five years I waited for this movie I was disappointed.

The first glimpses of Alice show her almost dead and walking around in what seems like a bombed wasteland that was once the white house. That already leaves unanswered questions. Who bombed the white house? What happened to all the soldiers and civilians protecting the living? “Humanity’s last stand” as Wesker once put it has been completely demolished. What the heck??

Continuing farther into the story she awakes inside of a tank like Umbrella Corporation vehicle containing survivors and Dr.Isaacs (Iain Glen). The same doctor her own clone had sliced to pieces inside a laser corridor in an earlier film “Resident Evil: Extinction”. Needless to say, it sent those faithful to the movie series into slight confusion. It is soon mentioned the Doctor her clone killed was simply a clone of his. It takes some time but she frees herself from his grasp after an epic fight leading to the dismembering of Isaac’s hand and a stolen motorcycle.

Once in Racoon City she unexpectedly meets up with Claire Redfield (Ali Larter), a companion from her past who now helps lead a group of survivors. Part of me really wanted to be salty. The last time she was seen was in “Resident Evil: Retribution” but there hadn’t been much on her. The salt was cast aside as I remembered everyone else is dead. Here is where two anticipated characters come into play. Christian (William Levy) and Amber (Ruby Rose) are both introduced as part of the group of survivors. While on their way to the Hive Christian is killed off in the most disappointing way. A mutant dog takes him down as they make a run for it. Aside from no time being spent on his death his character development was not one for the books. It was as if there were two different characters. Once inside Amber meets her own death when an air vent propelling counterclockwise sucks her in and slices her to shreds. Amber, unlike Christian, leaves a bigger dent and a more noteworthy death. The slight amount of background she gives along with her hesitant character traits makes her a memorable character that could have been much more had the air vent blades not sliced her to pieces.

Alice alongside other survivors crawls through the air dukes towards the anti-virus. The air dukes come to life when trap doors start to open and pull everyone out the dukes. Alice finds herself in a room full of flickering lights, eaten corpses suspended in the air by chains, and no weapons. She battles a biohazard  (a human whose genetics are reassembled in order to bond with the virus which leads to major mutations) and looks breathtaking while doing it. The vibes given kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I would definitely consider that scene my favorite in the entire movie.

The rest of the movie is best worded as a mind cluster. As it turns out the Alice that I rooted for movie after movie, year after year, that I previously believed to be the original Alice was a clone. The original Alice is actually a woman dying of premature aging. In that moment my brother and I looked over at each other in surprise. It was like being told your mother was actually your aunt.

The movie plot wasn’t too rushed, the fighting scenes were above and beyond, but the character arcs, plot holes, and lack of explanation was disappointing for a final ending.