The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Rain: Blessing or Nightmare

Daniel Rodriguez, Reporter

Rain rain go away, thank you for saving us but go away. When California wished for rain to save us from the severe drought we had found ourselves in, no uneducated person expected just this much rain.

There are currently two types of people in our dearest valley of Napa and neighboring counties who are also experiencing an abundance of rainfall, those who love the rain and those who absolutely despise it.

Is the rainfall truly worth the ruined weekends and canceled plans?

Napa High junior Veronica Vega expresses her love/hate relationship with the excessive rainfall.

“The heavy rainfall has gotten in the way of my leisurely activities. Some of which include family parties that have been forced to cancel due to the rain, hanging out with my friends, and simple things like taking a stroll around town and enjoying the sunlight.”

“The current rainfall, although much needed, has been hard to adjust to considering the warm weather we are used to in California. I’m appreciative of the benefits it has provided the environment, but the dangers that come with heavy rainfall in one way or another outweigh the good. It has made the roads a more dangerous place, and it has also put a damper on activities like walking and playing sports.”

Ana Gonzalez, a Napa High junior, also has absolutely had it with the negative effects of the rain.

“I’m personally over the rain. Don’t get me wrong I love rainy weather but only for a short amount of time or at least when I know I’ll just be home. It gets pretty frustrating when you have to go to school and receive all these flash flood warnings, which are pretty scary since I live somewhat close to the Napa river.”

“Not only has it gotten in the way of some plans I have with friends but we usually want to go out on a hike or out to the city but with this weather you can’t do or see much. I’m so ready for the summer.” She continues. 
The rain has also affected the Napa High’s Boys soccer team as they had two away games to Vacaville and Wood postponed due to the weather and pitch conditions. Both away games had to be rescheduled and were hosted as away games in Napa’s very own Memorial stadium.