The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Netflix Orginal: Santa Clarita Diet

Bertha Gallegos, Reporter

Many Netflix-originals were put on Netflix in the new year, one of the newest originals would be Santa Clarita Diet. The series is an American horror-comedy. The first season, consisting of 10 thirty-minute episodes, was released on February 3, 2017. In total it’s about 5 hours of binge watching, although you might not want to go through it too quickly. Season 2 hasn’t been confirmed, yet. Many Netflix-originals get their renewal within a month or two after they get released, so don’t get too worried.

Now the plot of the first season revolves around the Hammond family and their neighbor. The Hammond family consists of the married couple Sheila (Drew Barrymore) and Joel (Timothy Olyphant) plus their only daughter Abby (Liv Hewson). Beside them is their teenage neighbor Eric Bemis (Skyler Gisondo). Sheila and Joel are real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. While Abby and Eric are high school students. The Hammond’s lives goes downhill after Sheila goes through a transformation – making her crave raw meat and, eventually, human flesh.

The first episode starts off nonchalantly by jumping right into the characters lives and not explaining much, but you still understand the feel of the character’s lives by the end of the episode. Not until 6 minutes into the episode does the main problem begin. Sheila throws up in a house her and Joel are trying to sell. Joel finds her and thinks she’s dead but Sheila wakes up, then Joel takes her to a hospital and nothing seems wrong with her. But when they get back home Sheila says “I can’t feel my heartbeat,” and so Joel freaks out and buys a stethoscope. Joel tries to find a heartbeat, Abby also tries but to no avail, Sheila then shows Joel and Abby that she can’t feel pain and her blood that is now dark and thick. After this, the family goes to Eric seeking help, he tells them “She is dead.”

This is just the first episode and it sets the tone for the show. The tone is also quite carefree, the characters themselves are laid-back and even with the worry of Sheila being undead, they still go about their lives. The show makes you effortlessly laugh, even if the humor is at times inappropriate, most of the time it’s just plain funny. All things considered the show has an interesting premise, but the level of gore might not be for everyone.