The Beat of the Drum

NHS Soccer Gives Back

Napa Boys Soccer visits the DeMarillac Academy

The Napa High Soccer program made a visit to the DeMarillac Academy.

Daniel Rodriguez, Reporter

Day well spent in the Yay Area! The Napa High Boys Soccer team spent a wonderful day as guests to the DeMarillac Academy in San Francisco on Friday November 18th. Head Soccer Coach Mr. Ochoa gladly invited Napa High Principal Mrs. Petrie and Athletics Director Mr. King to witness the Napa High boys soccer team pay their second annual visit.

The team went out to the to spend the day in company with the 7th and 4th graders as part of the team’s social justice project.

Head Coach Mr. Ochoa and Assistant Coach Mr. Ayala were both very pleased with the social justice project. “The reason behind these trips is to see the bigger picture in life, to know you can always help in other areas, give back, there always someone you can help, and there is a bigger world outside of Napa.” said Mr. Ochoa.

“We hope our players take away that they are important in life and they can be role models and go out and help out their own community,” stated Assistant Coach Mr. Ayala.

As for activities, the team ran a gym class for the children to remain active and enjoy their time. As a team, they coordinated numerous activities, starting with a warm up to ensure injuries and pulled muscles were out of the picture.

Starting with a class of 7th graders, they began with a warm up which was soccer themed with two lines doing high knees, lunges, back heels, and a couple jogs up and down the lines. After the warm up the 7th graders were ecstatic to discover their next activity would be a variety of tag games.

After a lovely time playing tag games with the children, the soccer team ran some drills passing the ball. For the final activity the soccer team had the 7th graders take some shots in attempt to score against the Napa High goalkeepers.

Once the 7th graders were finished it was time to run the gym glass for the 4th graders. The 4th graders were very energetic from the beginning to end to say the least, happily participating in the same activities as the 7th graders. Based off the smiles on the children’s faces, the soccer program saw it as a wonderfully successful day.

The soccer program donated a couple soccer balls and basketballs, along with an M.E.L winning t-shirt for every 7th and 4th grader.