The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Fidget Spinners? New Trend?

Henley Frommelt, Reporter

Fidget Spinners, the new trend? These first came out for people who have autism or ADHD. However, people are now purchasing them just for fun and as a toy. Many teachers are getting annoyed by these but that doesn’t stop the students from using them at any chance they have. Some students find that these toys are pointless while others think that they are the coolest thing that has ever been invented.

Fidget Spinners have three metal bearings surrounded in a hard plastic that spins in your hand. You can different tricks with them, trade them with people or you can just spin them with your fingers. Many kids have now started purchasing them just for the heck of it and bring them to school. Which is starting to distract other students and the teachers. Mr. MacMillan a math teacher has made it very clear to his students that he does not want to ever see them out during his class. MacMillan said “I find that these toys are not being used in the proper manner of why they were made. Also, it is distracting not only to the student playing with it but to everyone else in the classroom watching them use it or hearing it hit the table if they drop it.” He does understand why they were made and how they can be helpful to certain people but doesn’t think that they should be allowed at school unless you absolutely need one to survive one day.

Then, on the other hand, you have the students that love to use them all day every day! Lainey Laband, a freshman loves to use her Fidget Spinner and thinks that they such a cool thing to be able to use. Laband explained, “I understand why teachers aren’t a fan of them but at the same time they do scientifically show that they help students so I wish they were a little more open with them.” She went on about how much fun they are to use, especially the ones that spin for a long time or when you know how to do a cool trick with them so you can learn new ones quicker. Many other students felt this while some other students felt the need to disagree with that statement. They all felt that they were overrated and should just be banned from school because they find them so childish and distracting in every way.

There are always pros and cons with these sort of things. You have the reasons why you should be able to use them and why you shouldn’t. People will be on their own sides and say that they are right or that they have the best reasoning but, it all comes down to when will this trend end? Or when will the school put an end to the toys in class?