The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Let’s Go Gaels!

Napa High Juniors take a field trip to St. Mary's College in Moraga

St. Mary's College

St. Mary's College

Daniel Rodriguez

Daniel Rodriguez

St. Mary's College

Daniel Rodriguez, Reporter

Napa High juniors took a college tour to a university that they could soon be calling their home. A select group of students had the opportunity to get a first hand experience of what being a student at Saint Mary’s is like.

A field trip lead by the school’s junior counselor Mr. Ayala who just so happens to be a Saint Mary’s alumni.

Saint Mary’s College is a private liberal arts school located in Moraga, California. Saint Mary’s College has a Catholic affiliated recognition but the school does not push the Catholic religion onto their students.

“After being one of the many privileged Napa high school students to attend a school such as Saint Mary’s with its fine and respective values the school implies in its students I would say I would attend. The school is beautiful, not far from home, the learning environments is huge based on the fact that the classes have a small amount of students per teacher. Overall the school is amazing with it’s fine architecture and very friendly and welcoming people!” said an excited Christopher Benitez who is a junior at Napa High School.

The students sat in and were attentive listeners to an admissions presentations. A lot of facts, numbers, and statistics were thrown out into the room but what stayed a focus was the community sense that the school has.

The university has an 11 to 1 student to teacher ratio and requires incoming freshmen to live on campus so they feel truly feel the welcoming focus of the university.

“After spending half my day in Moraga: I am considering going to St Mary’s because I feel as if the school suits me academically. One of the things I heard during the presentation was how they focus on social justice. Since the beginning of my Junior year I’ve had interest in advocating for justice within the community. St Mary’s is one of those schools that will help me grow into a well rounded student. Also, the thing that appealed to me the most was the morals the university consisted of. My ultimate goal when I go to college is to not forget what my parents have taught me. St Mary’s College interested me in a more spiritual level than any other school I’ve visited. Overall, it’s an amazing liberal arts school.” stated Azalea Rivera who is eager to begin her college experience.

As college looms over the horizon for the NHS Juniors, college preparations are in overdrive.