The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

We Need Our Libraries!!

Mrs.+Crowther%2C+the+library+assistant+will+be+taking+on+the+responsibilities+of+a+full+librarian.+
Mrs. Crowther, the library assistant will be taking on the responsibilities of a full librarian.

Lili Mautner

Lili Mautner

Lili Mautner, Reporter

School libraries play an important role in education and the overall school experience. Without librarians these libraries would not be able to function or be effective. Recently there have been rumors that the Napa School Districts will be cutting the librarian position at most if not all schools within the district.

Many people use our school library as a place to study after school, check out books, and research topics they are learning in class. A number of students also have free periods throughout the day and count on the library as a place to stay on campus and catch up on homework or just chill out.

Currently Napa high has Ms. Crowther as well as Ms. Killian running our library. Because of the district budget cuts, Ms. Killian will be let go and all the responsibilities within the library will be left to Ms. Crowther, who is officially titled the “Secondary Library Media Tech”. She says she is “Not just taking care of library but also textbooks, chromebooks and teachers laptops and computer passwords and the teacher copy room too”.  Ms. Killian was the main librarian because she has a masters in library science, but she will now be taking a 7th grade teaching position at American Canyon Middle School.

Ms. Crowther also shared that the Board “Continuously fails to see that there is a direct correlation between reading levels and and a properly staffed school library”. Ms. Crowther also brought up that the district is making no cuts to the sports teams or art programs and that “Libraries are the first to go on the chopping block”.   

Our school library has not received state funding to purchase books in almost eight years. Thanks to grants from Community Projects and The Alumni Association, the library is able to get new books and has also been gifted with a set of chromebooks and new furniture from the Alumni Association.  Finding grants was Ms. Killian’s job and will now be up to Ms. Crowther.

The library hours won’t be affected unless Ms. Crowther has to check out books in the textbook room, or do other tasks around campus. Other than that the library will be open regularly and accessible to all students.