The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Mr. Rogers Leaves the Neighborhood

A photo of Travis Rogers from 1986

Audrey Palmer, Managing Editor

Mr. Travis Rogers, the Napa High choir teacher has been a familiar face on campus since 1980. However, Mr. Rogers is retiring after the 2016-2017 school year.

Mr. Rogers decided to be a choir teacher his senior year at Vintage when he himself got a new choir teacher. Although he was upset at first about having a new teacher, by the end of the year he wanted to be a choir teacher. The man who inspired him is now the choir director at the University of Southern California, “which is the choir director equivalent of being the football coach there. It is one of the best music schools in the country and he is one of the top 10 choral conductors on the country” Rogers explained.

When Rogers was asked what his favorite class was he simply answered, “I enjoy all of my choir classes, I can say to that truly, but I do have two or three that I really look forward to during the day” Rogers is very fond of 3rd period Concert women “I just love them to death”, and 4th period Concert Men “because we can just hang back and be guys and go for it.” The atmosphere is totally different between the two and that’s why he loves them. Chamber choir also because “we get to do some really sophisticated music. More complicated, more sophisticated but more rewarding in the end.” The one Mr. Rogers gets the biggest “charge” out of is his 9th grade guys. “Because they have not sung, hardly any of them have been in a choir and I love to show them how to sing” When they do well it is awesome for Rogers because they came from almost nothing. In February the 9th grade boys went to Napa Valley Choral Classic they received a 98, 94 and a 92, unanimous superior ratings.

One of Mr. Rogers favorite songs from over the years are “The Child of God” which he makes sure that choir does every four years or so here at Napa High. Others are “Hark I Hear the Harps Eternal” and for the guys he really enjoys “Into Berna” which every guy in choir knows. Rogers favorite choir trip to make is to Ireland, which he’s taken the choir on four times. “There is no other place in the world that I’ve been to that is quite like Ireland” reflected Rogers.

Rogers originally intended to retire last year, however various circumstances persuaded him to stay one more year. A replacement has not yet been found, but that is expected to happen by the end of May. Mr. Rogers, being a big baseball fan plans on visiting all the baseball stadiums he hasn’t yet been to after he retires. Mr. Rogers will miss his amazing students most and this year is different because 4 years of students will be missed instead of the regular one senior class.

Mr. Rogers will be dearly missed here on campus. But his voice can still be heard at the Napa High football games as he will still announce for them. His creativity and positive attitude has left a mark on all of his students and Napa High as a whole.