The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Bill Nye Saves the World Review

Bertha Gallegos, Reporter

Many Netflix originals cause nostalgia trips, but Bill Nye Saves the World is the ultimate throwback. It premiered on April 21 and the first season is 13 episodes long, each episode is only thirty minutes long. Perfect for a calm afternoon of learning. Each episode is based on a different topic, the first episode “Earth is a Hot Mess,” is about climate change. In addition, each episode follows the same format. The episode starts with Nye shouting into the camera about the episode’s topic, then comes field reporting by one of the five correspondents, and lastly live studio interviews from experts in the topic. Some episodes also include a skit or “I need a minute” segment, which is a minute of ranting done by Nye about the topic at hand, but not all of the episodes include them. Also, the correspondents vary in the background but they all love science. These include science YouTuber and educator Derek Muller, comedian Nazeem Hussain, comedian and writer Joanna Hausmann, TV host and producer Emily Calandrelli, and fashion model Karlie Kloss.

Many people fondly remember Bill Nye the Science Guy from elementary and/or middle school. Bill Nye Saves the World addresses how science affects our daily lives like climate change and genetically modified organisms, but yet still manages to keep it appealing and understandable. Additionally, the signature tune of Bill Nye the Science Guy gets modernized by Tyler, the Creator for Bill Nye Saves the World. Tyler pays tribute to the original theme song by keeping the most recognizable part in the new version,“Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!” Netflix hasn’t officially announced the second season but hopefully it will.

The series has gotten mixed reviews but overall old fans of Bill Nye the Science Guy seem to appreciate the new take on Bill Nye. Although most of the criticism comes from the controversial topics Nye covered in his new show. One of the most common criticized episodes is episode 9 “The Sexual Spectrum,” Nye said gender is a spectrum and mocked gay-conversion therapy. Besides some people with conservative views hating on Bill Nye Saves the World the series has gotten lots of love.