The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

AP Tests are Back

Bere-Lara Gonzalez is ready to take her AP test.

Julian Sosa

Julian Sosa

Julian Sosa, Reporter

Its that time of the year again. As the end of the year approaches, students have to get past yet another obstacle. As students are looking forward to summer, first, the ones who take the rigorous AP courses, If they wish, have to take an AP test or tests all depending on the number of AP classes the student takes.

AP tests aren’t cheap which is why some students who aren’t confident don’t take the test. AP tests cost one hundred dollars each but there is a waiver that reduces the cost down to fifteen dollars that some students are eligible to receive if you have reduced cost lunch. Starting May 1st there will be AP tests taking place on the NHS campus sites.

Leading to AP tests teachers often have review sessions on the weekend or after school so that students get a better understanding of the subject. Also Prior to AP tests, there is a “Pre-Slug” session where students go to the lecture hall to fill out personal information for the test(s). If a student does not pre-slug they will have to stay an extra thirty minutes to fill in the required information. AP tests range from 1-5 hours depending on the subject.

Napa High Senior Katelyn Carlton said, “I took 3 AP tests last year and I’m only taking 2 this year, one in AP Environmental Science and another BC Calculus. Leading to the tests I studied really hard especially on BC Calculus. I think I passed the tests so I think the two-hundred dollars didn’t go to waste.”

“Im taking two AP tests, I dont have free reduced lunch so I paid two-hundred dollars for both my AP Environmental and AP Gov tests. I think I passed the AP Enviromental one but I still have to take my AP Gov and I hope that goes well. I was really stressed out leading to the tests so I studied a lot” said senior Nick Herring

The grading scale for AP tests is a 1-5 scale, 5 being the best score and 1 being the lowest. To pass an AP test you need a score of at least a 3.

Napa High Sophomore Freddy De Haro said, “This year I didn’t take any AP classes so I don’t have to stress about AP testing. Next year I would want to take AP spanish and AP chemistry.”

Napa High Junior Bere-Lara Gonzalez said, “I take AP Biology and AP Spanish Lit. I get stressed out as AP tests are coming because I took the class to get a good score on the test. I take AP classes because I like the extra point that adds to your GPA and plus colleges will see that you challenged yourself so it will look really good on college applications.”

Vanessa Acuna a Napa High junior said, “In AP classes you can’t procrastinate because they are very serious classes. Students should really take advantage of these classes because they will save you money when you go to college if you pass the test.”

As AP tests come to a close May 12, students then have to wait until July to find out there AP scores.