The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Juniors Take On the CAASPP

Juniors in Mr. Gassner's classroom prepare to begin CAASPP testing

Daniel Rodriguez

Daniel Rodriguez

Daniel Rodriguez, Reporter

Another school year and another dreaded test to pile upon the workload that our young developing minds already struggle to manage. The CAASPP testing is a test created by the state of California to ensure that all students graduate high school and are prepared for either college or a career. The junior class are the one’s that are responsible for completing the test and are told to complete it to the best of their ability. CAASPP itself stands for California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress.

Napa High Staff has given their best effort to motivate the class of 2018 to try their best on the CAASPP and not fall into the temptation of blowing it off by answering with random responses.

Proficiency on the CAASPP english section is crucial for students striving to receive their seal of biliteracy.

“My first thought was that I actually had to put some effort into it. Also, the seniors who already took the caaspp last year advised me to try to get a passing score.” responded Azalea Rivera.

“I was going to rely on my mood to see if I actually wanted to try, but when I realized I have to get a proficient score for something I’ve been working for 4 years which is the seal of biliteracy I realized I had no choice but to pass the test.” stated Azalea Rivera.

With proficiency on the english section of the CAASPP being necessary for a seal of biliteracy, students looked for ways to get around the test. One has to be fluent in english but the math section is a whole other ball game.

Students discovered that they could easily blow off the math section completely and still receive their seal of biliteracy. Ultimately, the choice to excel on the test is in the students hands and most students chose to stick to their gut instinct.

“When it comes to the cassp I knew I had to try in both aspects because of the fact that this test and my test scores will not only represent me, but Napa high. Yes I am putting my effort on every question and trying to answer it correctly, but if I have no clue I’m some of them I try to narrow down my answer/s so I can be as close as possible. I feel more pressure on the English section because if I don’t pass I won’t be able to receive my seal of biliteracy.” respond Christopher Benitez.

The test scores from the CAASPP are also released to the community and general public, so keeping Napa High School in a good light within the community is also a beneficial aspect from the CAASPP

“I believe the scores will impact our school greatly and reflect how good of an education we receive in school, which will be seen on the CAASPP if students actually choose to try. The school will receive a score that will be compared to other schools in California and we will be able to see how well or how bad we are doing.” again replied Christopher Benitez.

The CAASPP test also has one more positive aspect, it provides the opportunity to be used as a placement test for colleges. If you score high enough you have the option to release your scores to the universities you are applying to and once admitted into an institution they use your CAASPP scores instead of requiring you to take a placement test. Ultimately, saving you a couple bucks in the near future.