The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Teenage Life Behind The Wheel

Daniel Rodriguez, Reporter

As young drivers acquire their licenses with each passing day I decided to assess the pros and cons of young adults on the roads. Being a driver is a big deal when you really think about it. One unfortunate moment and your life could be at risk.

As days go by we see more and more teenagers pass their driving test and be granted a driver’s license, Napa is no exception. For a matter of fact, Napa has its very own DMV center making the task of getting a license that much easier and convenient.

Having a license is great for young adults as they begin to take on more responsibilities in their lives. For instance, teenagers start to drive to work, extracurricular activities, social gatherings, and basic necessities like going grocery shopping.

Although having a license is great and comes with many positive opportunities there’s is another negative aspect of allowing teenagers to have a license. A car and a license give a teenager a lot of freedom, the freedom that they may not be prepared to handle. As we see the second semester coming to an end students at Napa High are beginning to witness a few empty seats in their classes. Cutting class may begin to become an issue as students see the opportunity to simply drive anywhere else besides school.

Young adults are also more prone to fall victim to distractions while at the wheel. According to teendriversource.org, in 2013 2,163 drivers aged 16-19 were in fatal vehicle accidents and 243,243 were left wounded and to be treated in the emergency rooms. That’s a terrifying result of 6 teens on average dying a day.

I for one believe that granting student drivers the chance to obtain their license is a great thing. I myself have learned responsibility and the importance of being punctual with one’s time. Driving also creates healthy habits such as being aware of your surroundings and managing money, gas doesn’t come cheap.

The final consensus, give the youth their driver’s license. They need to go out and explore the world around them before the adult world ruins any chance of experiencing life.