The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Prom 2017!

Napa High School’s Prom this year will be held in the basement of the Merchant Exchange Club in San Francisco’s Mission District. The dance begins at 7:30 pm and ends at 10 o’clock, and students are encouraged to plan their own transportation. Many students arrive on party busses with their friends, while some rent limos or other cars, and others may drive themselves. The venue will be catered, but will have mainly snacks and dessert, so be sure to eat before you arrive.

Early bird tickets for the dance went on sale March 22nd, and are $10 cheaper than regular tickets. The tickets will be $75 with a Superpunch and $85 without, until April 14th. However, regular ticket prices after this date are $85 with Superpunch and $95 without. For more information on waivers for adults and permission slips for students from other schools go to: http://napahigh.org/wp/ under announcements. To purchase a ticket, you can pick up a packet from the Activities Office or print it out from the online attachment. You must have your grades and fees checked in student services before you purchase your ticket. You cannot purchase a ticket if you received an F on the Fall 2016 report card.

Dress code for girls includes :
1. Dresses are to be formal
2. Dresses must be mid thigh length even if tights are worn. If the dress has a slit, the slit cannot be higher than the middle of the thigh.
3. Dresses should not be tight and should not ride up as you dance.
4. All necklines must be modest – NO PLUNGING NECKLINES!
5. Dresses with sheer panels or cut outs are not allowed.

Dress code for boys include:
1. Formal attire. Dress pants (no saggy/baggy pants). Dress shirt and dress shoes are required.
2. Tie is required
3. Shirts must be worn and tucked in the entire dance.
4. Hats cannot be worn

Dancing rules from the school website include:
Students and their guests must engage in acceptable and appropriate forms of dancing. Napa High School reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of any attendee’s form of dance. In order to maintain a respectful environment for all students, students and their guests MAY NOT engage in grinding or dancing that include any sexually explicit or suggestive dance gestures, or dancing that could cause harm to others. Additionally, offensive language is not acceptable. The first offense includes the removal from the dance floor for a 10 minute timeout. The second offense includes sitting out for the rest of the dance.

Leann Rody and Jason Pridy are juniors at Napa High School and are in the school’s leadership program. The Leadership class helped plan the 2017 Prom by picking a theme and seeing pictures of the venue. They wanted the theme to be James Bond but Vintage’s theme is Casino Royale so they settled on Enchanted Forest. Attendees do not have to dress accordingly to the theme, it is mainly for the purpose of invitations. They informed us that leadership did not have a huge say in a lot of the decisions made for Prom. The location of Prom, decorations, and such were all made by Mrs. Gassner and the administration. Rody says Prom, “Should be a good time” and Pridy states, “I don’t know if I’m going but I hope everyone has fun.”