The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

New Mascot Ideas

An old depiction of The Napa High Indian mascot

Audrey Palmer

Audrey Palmer

Henley Frommelt, Reporter

Napa High may have to make a new mascot, but the question is, what will this new mascot be? Many students, parents and alumni have been trying to put in their own opinion on different mascot ideas. Some people want the mascot to be related to an indian, while others want it be completely different.

There have been many different opinions that have been said, some people like Iguanas since we could keep the I in NI but others want it to be more close to an indian. All in all it just depends on what the district decides to do and if they want to change the mascot completely. Most people like the idea of having an iguana for the mascot so that we can keep the NI for most of our logos. This will then go back to the district to see what exactly they want to do.

200 students were asked what they think the new mascot should be, 72 of them did not answer the question, they all said that they just wanted to stay the indians and not change it at all. 28 of them said that they liked the idea of having an iguana as a the mascot since we could keep the NI for many things. 23 students said that think that it would be smart to be the Napa Natives or something similar to the Indians so that we could keep a lot of the same things. 19 of them like the idea of the mascot being a cougar, they all said that they liked the idea of changing the mascot completely. 39 students want our mascot to be a mustang, they also want it to be completely different that an indian. 19 other students like the idea of having no mascot and just being Napa High, so that we don’t have any mascot issues in further years.

Many people have tried to convince the district that there is no need to change the mascot if we just make it more respectful and have it look more like how the Native Americans looked when they lived in Napa. They have given responsible responses and have even gone to the natives them selves but the district isn’t budging on what they want to happen. The interesting thing that happened, is that out of all the people that were interviewed, most of them said that they didn’t want to answer any questions on this topic. They all said that they didn’t want to answer the question because it was too sensitive of a topic for them to talk about.

All in all it comes down to what the district decides to do with mascot and if the people of Napa will step up and voice their opinion for what they think should happen. Will they keep the Indian Mascot? Will they take away a mascot? Or will they completely change it? We will find out soon.