The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Artist profile: Katie Ross

Gillian Ferro, Reporter

There are a lot of extremely talented artist here at our Napa High School. One of these many talented artist is Katie Ross. Ross is a junior at Napa High and has been drawing, “Probably since [she] could hold a pencil.” Besides art, Ross’s other hobbies include dance and gymnastics.

Like most artists, Ross expresses herself through the art she creates. When working on her artwork, Ross does not follow any rules or expectations for art. “I do what I want.” To Ross art has, “no rules.” Ross’s favorite piece that she has done is one that is actually not finished, “My Cupcake portraits even though they are not finished yet.” Ross’s favorite part about art is that a person to able to express themselves without words.

This gives her the opportunity to express herself in a way that is meaningful to her. It also gives people the ability to see a different side of Ross’s personality. Ross is not only gifted in the arts, but she is also an exceptional makeup artist. Ross’s makeup is usually bold and unique to herself. Both Ross’s art pieces and her style of makeup mirror each other due to the fact that they are both attention grabbing and interesting to see.

Ross’s favorite materials to draw with are watercolor and color pencil. When asked the question as to why Ross has an interest in art her answer was, “That question is always confusing because I know when people hear the word art the first thing they think of is things like drawing, painting, sculpting, etc and people want or expect an answer associated with those things but anything and everything can be art.”

When asked to expand on her answer on to what she considers art, “You can make riding your bike into an art or simply doing your hair in the morning, as long as it brings you some kind of passion. So when I say I like art, I am saying I like passion. Art is passion.” Ross does not have any particular role models or inspiration for art but, “…anything [she] see[s] that [she] like[s] such as makeup, drag queens, and dancers.”

Ross intends to possibly pursue dance in her future but also has an interest in 2 dimensional art. However, she does not intend on going to college, “School is not my thing, I do not plan on going to college to get degrees and graduate but maybe take some classes that interest me.” Her biggest goal for the future is to be and feel successful and happy.