The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Choosing Classes

Henley Frommelt, Reporter

We have come upon the time of year where students have to sign up for the classes that they want to do in their next year of school. Many are stressed about choosing the right classes and worried if they are choosing too hard of classes for them. Some people have been asking other people what classes they are taking, as well as asking their teachers if they should take any AP or Honors classes.  

Many freshmen are starting to pick classes and many of them may be picking too many honors and AP classes, which then means that these sophomores will have too many time-sensitive classes.  This can even cause students to drop out of classes and go to a lower class. Most students end up doing that and then only have about one honors class which is most commonly the honors class that they took the previous year at Napa High.

Beau Parriott, a freshman at Napa High, will be taking many difficult and time-consuming classes his sophomore year: Honors English 10, Honors Math 2, Honors Spanish 2, AP World History, Chemistry, and Choir.

Parriott has told many people that he isn’t sure how hard his classes will be, especially his AP World History class. He isn’t sure if he will end up dropping out of his honors classes so he can focus on other more important classes, but he wants to try to take as many of the classes that he has signed up for in January throughout his sophomore year. He asked many teachers for suggestions and has even asked upperclassmen for help deciding what classes would suit Parriott’s schedule. Many upperclassmen have taken most of the classes that Parriott is taking and highly recommend taking them your sophomore year since it gives the credits you want, as well as not having as many classes your junior and senior year.

When you start to sign up for your classes, remember what classes you know you can do, how much time you will have to do the work that those classes need, and what skills you will need for the classes. So get information from teachers, parents, other students, and just remember to have good judgment when it comes to choosing your classes.