The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

59th Grammy Awards Recap

Helena Parker, Reporter

What were you doing this past Sunday night? Were you one of the millions of people who tuned in to watch the 59th annual Grammy Awards? If not, here’s a recap of some of the most entertaining moments.

“Music’s Biggest Night” was hosted by James Corden, an English actor who has a talk-show on CBS called the Late Late Show With James Corden. One of the most popular segments on his show is Carpool Karaoke, where he and celebrities such as Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, and more drive around Los Angeles singing.

Among the show’s star-studded performers were Adele, the Weekend, Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, John Legend, Carrie Underwood, Lady Gaga, Metallica, and Chance the Rapper. There were also emotional tributes to late musicians such as Prince and George Michael.

Adele had an action-packed night as she opened the show singing her song “Hello”, which proceeded to win Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Pop Solo Performance. After her salute to George Michael, she rounded off the night with her album 25 winning also received Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album.

Another popular aspect of the night was Beyoncé’s performance, which sparked the attention of the millions of viewers due to her performing while being pregnant with twins.

Although the Grammys, and music, is general is usually discerned as a way for artists to come together and share in what they love, there was also some contention during the night regarding U.S. president Donald Trump.

One singer-songwriter named Joy Villa opted out of a more formal gown and chose a dress which read Trump’s campaign slogan “Make America Great Again” on the front, and spelled out his last name in bedazzled letters on the train of her dress. Katy Perry also advocated her opinion on the presidency by wearing an armband which said “PERSIST” to match her white pantsuit.

Other forms of more vocal controversy came from a line in host James Corden’s opening monologue, “live it on up because this is the best, and with President Trump we don’t know what comes next,” as well as more subtle statements from celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and Paris Jackson.

However, the most noticeable dig at Mr. Trump was during a performance by A Tribe Called Quest and Busta Rhymes. During a performance of their song “We the People”, they referred to the man as “President Agent Orange”, and concluded by repeatedly shouting the word “resist”.

Regardless of the controversy, “Music’s Biggest Night” contained exciting performances and was a night that the celebrities in attendance will likely never forget.