The student news site of Napa High School

The Beat of the Drum

Is Valentine’s Day Worth It?

Bertha Gallegos, Reporter

Every year at the end of January, the takeover of Valentine’s Day begins. This means just about everywhere is decorated with pink and red hearts, this also means love will be in the air. Many people adore this holiday but many also hate it. Some people seem to go to great lengths to show their love on this day, while others hide away in the hopes that the day will end soon. Although many people also just love this day for all the festive sweets.

Valentine’s Day allows some people to spend the day telling and showing their partner, friends, and just about everybody they love, just how much they love them. This means going above and beyond to show their love, this also might leave their pockets pretty empty.

Valentine’s day is known for being one of the most expensive holidays. According to the National Retail Federation’s Valentine’s Day Consumer Spending Survey, 54.8% of consumers celebrated Valentine’s Day, spending an average of  $146.84 on flowers, jewelry, candy, and more. This was in 2016, will people spend more in 2017?

This Valentine’s Day should be different, maybe this year you can save money and DIY all the presents and cards you want to give. Is it truly worth it to spend your money on gifts you could probably make yourself? What’s the real outcome of buying candy, flowers, and more? Yes, it’s nice and maybe even cute but whatever you do or give will only be because of Valentine’s Day.

Why couldn’t you show your love when you want? Maybe it’s because Valentine’s Day is the one day you can be as lovey-dovey as you like and no one questions it. In reality, many people wait just for this holiday to show just how much people mean to them.

Either way buying presents, as stated before, can get expensive. It might be nice but is it really necessary? When it comes down to Valentine’s Day some people are head-over-heels for it while some hate it. Whichever type of person you might be, always ask yourself “Is it really worth it?”